The First-Year Experience
The First-Year Experience theme for 2017-2018 is "Self and Society." In their First-Year Experience, students will read literature, engage in discussions, and attend events that explore complex relationships between individuals and various communities to which they belong and with which they interact.
Students will explore questions, such as:
- How do we define the "self" in a world of multiple and shifting personal identities?
- How do we identify the sources of our personal values and beliefs, and how do we keep ourselves open to the growth and development of these beliefs and values?
- What are our individual responsibilities to urgent matters of local, national, and global justice?
By participating in the First-Year Experience, students will:
- Learn about the various academic programs on campus
- Identify and utilize campus resources for student success
- Participate in service learning projects that foster a sense of campus community, while giving back to the local community
- Participate in campus events, such as musical performances, faculty keynote lectures, the Common Read, art exhibits, and Coffee & Conversations.