Master of Physician Assistant
- Admission Requirements
- Clinical Experience Rotations
- Clinical Phase
- Course Descriptions
- Didactic Phase
- Employment Policy
- Financial Aid
- Learning Outcomes
- PA Moodle
- PANCE Scores (5 Year)
- Placement Opportunities
- Program Academic Calendar
- Selection Process
Required for admission:
- Bachelor's degree required upon matriculation to the master of physician assistant studies program (MPAS);
- Science GPA of 3.00 - no science prerequisite may be lower than a "C-";
- Cumulative GPA of 3.00;
- General, Organic, and Biochemistry (1-year sequence including ALL three topics) OR two semesters of organic chemistry OR one semester of organic chemistry and one semester of biochemistry. 100-level general chemistry does not fulfill this requirement;
- Biology coursework to include 15 credits of:
- Two semesters of human anatomy & physiology with laboratory (from a biology, physiology, zoology department, or an allied health program) - 8 credits
- One semester of microbiology with laboratory - 4 credits
- One semester of genetics – 3 credits
- Prerequisite biology and chemistry may not be taken by an online or correspondence format;
- 1-2 credits of medical terminology (online course acceptable);
- Minimum combined score (verbal + quantitative) of 291 on the graduate record examination (GRE);
- Mathematics to include a pre-calculus or higher course (functions, trigonometry, exponents, and logarithmic functions) and a statistics/probability course (defined as pre-mathematical functions and statistics and probability) - 6 credits;
- Psychology (development or abnormal highly recommended) - 3 credits;
- 3 credits earned in a social science course such as sociology, geography, anthropology, political science, or economics;
- One course in English composition - 3 credits;
- 1,500 paid hours of direct, hands-on patient care before you submit your CASPA application;
- Students must use CASPA to submit an application to Rocky Mountain College (Please Note: There is a $30 application processing fee for the CASPA application. No supplemental application is required); and
- One of the three reference letters submitted to CASPA must be from a health care provider (preferably from a physician assistant). Letters of reference from family members will not be accepted.
We highly encourage one year of undergraduate physics or additional quantitative courses and/or laboratory experiences. We also highly recommend additional writing classes.
Patient care experience: The higher the quality of patient care experience, the more competitive the applicant will be judged. However, all applicants with direct patient care and high quality patient interactions are encouraged to apply.
Graduates of Rocky Mountain College who have met all the requirements for admission and have earned a bachelor's degree with a minimum of 60 credits earned at RMC will be granted an automatic interview. Please note: this interview DOES NOT guarantee acceptance into the program - students will compete with all other interviewing students for matriculating status.
Coursework Older Than 10 Years
We do not enforce an expiration date for prerequisites. However, candidates whose prerequisite coursework is older than 10 years are strongly encouraged to consider updating these core science courses.
PA Shadowing Hours
We strongly encourage candidates to have a minimum of 40 hours shadowing PA's in a variety of settings, including a Primary Care setting. These hours are due at the time of submission of your application to CASPA.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
A combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of at least 291 is required to be considered for application to the MPAS program at Rocky Mountain College. The GRE must be taken by October 1.
Please forward your official GRE report to Rocky Mountain College, school code 7349.
Your CASPA application cannot be processed without your official GRE scores from the Educational Training Services (ETS).
TOEFL is required of all applicants when English is not the first language. Rocky Mountain College follows a set standard for all international applicants; those standards are available here.
In accordance with Rocky Mountain College admissions policies and procedures, those students selected for admission to the PA program are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended. These transcripts must be received directly from the college/university. Student submitted copies are not acceptable. Copies submitted to CASPA do not fulfill this requirement. Transcripts should be mailed directly to:
Rocky Mountain College
Master of Physician Assistant Studies Program
1511 Poly Drive
Billings, MT 59102
Transcripts must be received prior to the scheduled class matriculation date or class standing will be revoked.
Failure to submit the mandatory transcripts or fulfill any other requirements specified in a conditional offer of admission to the program, prior to the scheduled class matriculation, will result in the withdrawal of the conditional offer.
No advanced placement or transfer credit may be applied toward fulfilling the MPAS curriculum.
If you have questions, please call Calley Thompson at 4 06.657.1198.