English Student Learning Outcomes
Creative Writing Concentration
Students who graduate with a concentration in creative writing will:
- Develop a portfolio of works of fiction, drama, and poetry;
- Develop an active, experimental, and reflective writing process that includes invention, drafting, revision, and editing;
- Read as a writer, which involves understanding processes and craft techniques for contemporary fiction, drama, and poetry;
- Demonstrate the professional habits of active creative writers: give public readings, read literary magazines, and submit work for publication according to professional standards of manuscript preparation;
- Provide feedback for multiple genres of writing in a workshop setting;
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the key figures, movements, and genres of literary history; and
- Demonstrate a command of the grammar and conventions of standard written English.
Literary Studies ConcentrationStudents who graduate with a concentration in literary studies will:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the major authors and movements of British and American literature;
- Interpret literary texts employing appropriate techniques and terms of literary analysis;
- Demonstrate an understanding of multiple theoretical perspectives of literary analysis, including feminist, formalist, psychoanalytic, and historicist perspectives;
- Demonstrate well-developed skills in reading closely, thinking critically, and communicating effectively in writing.
English Education Major
Please consult the learning outcomes for the secondary education major.