English Student Learning Outcomes
Creative Writing Major
Students who graduate with a major in creative writing will:
- Develop a portfolio of works of fiction, drama, and poetry;
- Develop an active, experimental, and reflective writing process that includes invention, drafting, revision, and editing;
- Read as a writer, which involves understanding processes and craft techniques for contemporary fiction, drama, and poetry;
- Demonstrate the professional habits of active creative writers: give public readings, read literary magazines, and submit work for publication according to professional standards of manuscript preparation;
- Provide feedback for multiple genres of writing in a workshop setting;
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the key figures, movements, and genres of literary history; and
- Demonstrate a command of the grammar and conventions of standard written English.
English Education Major
Please consult the learning outcomes for the secondary education major.
Literary Studies Major
Students who graduate with a major in literary studies will:
- Possess a thorough understanding of cultural and ideological traditions as reflected in British and American literatures;
- Be familiar with literatures in their cultural and historical contexts, including post-colonial literary expressions and traditions;
- Understand and employ multiple theoretical perspectives; and
- Demonstrate well-developed skills in reading closely, thinking critically, and communicating effectively in discussion and in writing.