What is Orientation?
The orientation program is an experience designed to acclimate you to the social and academic atmosphere you will encounter at RMC, as well as orient you to campus. Orientation will provide you with various opportunities to interact with your classmates, as well as with key faculty, staff, and student leaders who will support you throughout your college career.
What's in it for me?
The purpose of orientation is to assist students in making a positive transition to college life by preparing them for success in the classroom and within the greater RMC community.
Through your active participation in orientation you will:
- Gain valuable insight into academic, social, and community expectations;
- Become familiar with student success resources; and
- Make positive connections with faculty, staff, returning students, and peers.
How do I participate?
To participate in orientation, you must confirm your enrollment to RMC by submitting your new student deposit of $250. Orientation is required for all first-year students.
When do I need to arrive?
Check-in for Fall 2014 begins at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, August 21, in front of Morledge-Kimball Hall. Athletes and off-campus students should pick up their orientation folder anytime between 8:30-11:15 a.m. Please join us for lunch at 11:15 a.m. on the RMC Green.
Fall 2014 Orientation Schedule
Get more orientation information in the 2014 Orientation Booklet!
Thursday, August 21
Your first day on campus is designed to get you comfortably moved in and to help you acclimate to your new home and surroundings. You will meet the residence life staff and resident advisor (RA) on your floor, your Campus Compass peer instructor, and other student leaders.
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. – New Student Check-in
- RMC Campus Check-in: Morledge Walkway
- Residence Hall Check-In: Widenhouse Hall/Anderson Hall/Rimview Hall/Jorgenson Hall
- Validation/Fee Payment: Eaton Hall
- Off-Campus Informational Meeting: Selover Room, Bair Family Student Center
9:30 - 11:00 a.m. – Campus Tours
- Tours will depart from the Bear on the Morledge Walkway and will leave every 30 minutes from 9:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. – Lunch: The RMC Green
- 12:30 - 3:00 p.m. – Parent & Family Session: Taylor Auditorium, Losekamp Hall
- 12:30 - 3:00 p.m. – New Student Information Tents: RMC Campus
- 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. – New Student Meeting: Fortin Education Center Auditorium
- 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. – Parent & Family Meet and Greet with Faculty and Staff: Prescott Commons
- 5:00 - 5:30 p.m. – President’s Welcome: Fortin Education Center Gymnasium
- 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. – President’s Dinner: RMC Green
- 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. – Residence Hall Meetings: Assigned Residence Hall
- 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. – Off-Campus Student Mixer hosted by Student Ambassadors: Fraley Lounge, Bair Family Student Center
- 8:30 - 10:00 p.m. – Entertainment: Taylor Auditorium, Losekamp Hall
- 10:00 - 11:00 p.m. – Fireside Gathering hosted by Student Ambassadors: Fraley Lounge Fire Pit
Friday, August 22
The focus of programming on Friday is academic preparation. You will have an opportunity to meet your faculty members, enjoy lunch with your academic advisor, and connect with a variety of students and staff members dedicated to supporting your academic success. There will also be plenty of time to get to know your neighbors and classmates.
- 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. – Breakfast with Academic Support Teams: McDonald Commons
- 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. – SAS Meeting: Fortin Education Center Auditorium
- 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. – Academic Support Teams Meeting: Taylor Auditorium, Losekamp Hall
- 10:15 - 11:30 a.m. – IDS 101 Campus Compass Class
12:00 - 1:30 p.m. – Academic Program Meeting & Lunch
- Consult your personalized schedule
- 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. – Community and Campus Employment Workshop: Taylor Auditorium, Losekamp Hall
- 5:30 - 8:00p.m. – Zoo Party hosted by the Employee Board: ZooMontana
Saturday, August 23
Building strong relationships on campus and in the broader Billings community is an essential component for college success, and programming on Saturday is designed to help you build these relationships.
- 7:30 - 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast: McDonald Commons
- 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. – Load Buses for Service Project: Meet on North Parking Lot
- 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. – Campus Compass Service Project: Various Billings locations
- 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. – BBQ: Tyler Green
- 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. – Student Involvement Sneak Peak Meeting: Fortin Education Center Auditorium
- 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. – Student Involvement Sneak Peak: Across RMC Campus and Billings Community
- 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. – Break: Yoder Lounge, First Year Residence Halls
7:00 - 11:00 p.m. – Pizza and Bowling hosted by RMC Athletics: Sunset Bowl, 1625 Central Ave.
- Meet at the Bear statue at 6:45 if you need a ride
Sunday, August 24
Sunday is dedicated to rest and relaxation. You will find plenty of time to settle in, get caught up, and prepare for your first week of classes.
- 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. – Breakfast: McDonald Commons
- 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. – Chapel Service: Outdoor Chapel North of Losekamp Hall
10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. – Days Trips: River Rafting, Hiking/Fly Fishing, Red Lodge and Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary
- Meet on North Parking Lot
- 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. – RMC 2014 Kick-Off Dinner (Open to all RMC students): McDonald Commons
- 8:00 - 9:00 p.m. – Residence Hall Floor Meetings: Widenhouse and Anderson Residence Halls
Monday, August 25
- Classes begin