Federal Grants


RMC participates in all federal grant programs. To apply for federal grants, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa and enter RMC's school code (002534).


Federal Pell Grant

This grant is awarded to high-need students as determined by the FAFSA. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Priority for this grant is given to Federal Pell Grant eligible students. It is awarded by the Financial Aid Office as long as funds are available. The average award is $750.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH)

The federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) Program provides funds to students who are completing coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years:

  • As a highly qualified teacher;
  • At a school servicing low-income students; and
  • In a high-need field.

The four years of teaching must be completed within eight years after completing or otherwise ceasing to be enrolled in the program for which a TEACH Grant was received. Failure to complete the four year teaching requirement will result in TEACH grant funds being converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

The maximum award is $4,000 per year (award amounts are subject to change based on federal funding due to sequestration). Students must complete a FAFSA, although do not have to show financial need. To be eligible, a student must score above the 75th percentile on a college admission test or maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher. Students must be formally accepted into the Rocky Mountain College teacher education program. Students must complete a TEACH Grant initial and subsequent counseling and sign a new Agreement to Serve (ATS) each year a TEACH Grant is requested. Students must complete TEACH Grant exit counseling when they complete or cease to be enrolled in the program for which they received the grant.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant 

A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Eligibility requirements:

  • Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds;
  • Be under 24 years old; or
  • Enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent's or guardian's death.

Maximum award is equal to 6.2% less than the maximum Pell Grant for the academic year (award amounts are subject to change based on federal funding due to sequestration).

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act

Under this scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.  To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent's or guardian's death.  In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.

All Title IV aid awarded to such eligible students must be based on an EFC of zero without regard to the student's calculated EFC.  Thus, the student is eligible for the maximum Pell Grant for his or her enrollment status and cost of attendance.  In addition, the student's eligibility for Direct Loans or Campus-Based program aid must be based on an EFC of zero.

For purposes of the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, a public safety officer is:

  • As defined in section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C.3796b); or
  • A fire police officer, defined as an individual who is serving in accordance with State or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic in response to any fire drill, fire call, or other fire, rescue, or police emergency, or at a planned special event.

Documents that schools may consider to determine eligibility include:

  • A determination letter acknowledging eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the Department of Justice;
  • A written letter of attestation or determination made by a state or local government official with supervisory or other relevant oversight authority of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
  • Documentation of the student qualifying for a state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety office consistent with the definition in 42 U.S.C. 3796b, or as a fire police officer as noted above; or
  • Other documentation the school determines to be from a credible source that describes or reports the circumstances of death and the occupation of the parent or guardian.

Eligible students should complete this application form.

Additional information regarding federal grants can be obtained by going to www.studentaid.ed.gov.