Student FAQ

What are my rights under FERPA? Under FERPA, you have a right to:

  • Inspect and review your educational records;
  • Request to amend your educational records;  
  • Have some control over the disclosure of information from your educational records.

Rocky Mountain College notifies students annually of their FERPA rights by email and in the general information section of the catalog.

When do FERPA rights begin? Your FERPA rights begin when you enroll, that is, when you have registered and paid and classes have begun.

Can my parents get information about me? Without your expressed, written permission, your parents, like all other third parties, may have access only to your directory information. If you have restricted some or all of your directory information from access by the public, then those items of directory information are considered confidential and cannot be released to your parents or other third parties.

Who can access my educational records? Your educational records are confidential and may be disclosed to:

  • Appropriate College administrators, faculty members, staff members, or contractors acting on behalf of the College who require such access in order to perform their legitimate educational and business duties when such records are needed in furtherance of the educational or business purposes of the student or College.
  • Those to whom you have given express, written permission. 

How can I restrict access to public or directory information about me? If you are currently enrolled, you may request that all or some of your directory information be made confidential by completing the restrict access form. Directory restriction is available to all students during the first 12 days of the Fall or Spring Semester or during the first four days of a summer session. You may also do so by coming to the Office of Student Records in Eaton Hall during the first 12 class days of any semester of the first four class days of any summer term and completing a form. Any restriction will remain in effect until you revoke it. Only currently enrolled students may restrict their directory information, but students may revoke the restriction of their information at any time.

Whom should I contact with questions or concerns? Direct general questions to the Office of Student Records. 


Office of Student Records
Rocky Mountain College
Eaton Hall
1511 Poly Drive
Billings, MT 59102