Registration & Advising

This tutorial walks you through how to register for classes, including meeting with your advisor, selecting courses, clearing holds, and making changes to your schedule.
Incoming students wanting to register for classes or change their schedule should contact Admissions.

Registration Basics

Getting Started

Course Catalog

Each fall the College publishes a new version of the course catalog. The course catalog contains academic policies and requirements, as well as course listings of the courses that may be offered. Students are encouraged to download the catalog and become familiar with its contents. If program requirements or course offerings change, appropriate substitutions will be made so that the student may still graduate within the intended time frame.

Course Offerings

Go to the course offerings page to download the upcoming semester's courses, including days, times, locations, and instructors. To see if a course is full, check the course scheduler. Note: Select Open & Closed to display all sections.

Choosing Courses: Requirements

When choosing courses to take, undergraduate students should keep in mind the following types of requirements: core curriculum requirements, program (major/minor) requirements, and general degree/graduation requirements.

Core Curriculum

The liberal arts core curriculum at Rocky Mountain College includes courses in writing (college composition), mathematics, communication studies (public speaking), fine arts, humanities (history, literature, philosophy), and the social and natural sciences.

Review current core curriculum requirements online or download the core curriculum advising worksheet.

Program (Major/Minor) Requirements

Current Program Requirements
See course catalog directory for links to program requirements for the current academic year. Note: The course catalog is published annually on August 1. Students should meet with their academic advisors prior to registration for the fall semester to plan the upcoming academic year. The faculty advisor will let students know of any recent or planned changes in curriculum and course offerings that could impact the student's graduation plan.

Program Requirement Advising Worksheets
See advising resources for major & minor (program) worksheets. Note: Advising worksheets are updated annually, prior to the beginning of advising week during the fall semester. Program requirement worksheets are only a tool to assist in the advising process. Refer to the course catalog to verify current degree and graduation requirements. Students are expected to meet with their academic advisor regularly and keep track of progress toward their degree.

Prior-Year Program Requirements
See catalog archives for degree and program requirements from a prior academic year. In cases where program requirements or course offerings have changed, appropriate substitutions will be made to allow the student to graduate within the expected time frame.

Degree/Graduation Requirements

Review baccalaureate degree requirements for the current academic year online. For associates and graduate program requirements, consult the course catalog or the program website.

Graduation Plans

Students may use the blank graduation plan available in advising resources to work with their academic advisor to project the sequence of courses they should take in order to graduate.

Registering for Courses

Advising and Advisors

Upon arrival on campus, each student is assigned a faculty member who will serve as an academic advisor. Students are ultimately responsible for all academic decisions throughout their college careers. Advisors merely advise students regarding course selection and other academic decisions.

Each student at the College must meet with his or her academic advisor in order to register for the upcoming term. Most students choose to meet with their advisors the week before registration opens. During this meeting, the student and the advisor discuss the courses that the student has chosen.

Removal of the Hold

At the conclusion of the advising meeting, the advisor will release the hold on the student's record, allowing the student to register at the appropriate time. Students cannot register until this hold is released.

When to Register

Newly admitted students will register for the first time through Admissions.

For continuing students, registration opens in descending order of current academic class standing (grade level), starting with seniors on the first day (usually Monday), juniors on the second (usually Tuesday), etc. Registration typically opens about 12:15 am on each day.

Note: Class standing does not include your current class schedule, only courses (credits) you have finished.  For example, if you have completed 19 credits and are going to be a sophomore after you finish this semester, you are currently a freshman.

The opening of registration is listed on the College's academic calendar. Registration typically occurs in late October for the upcoming spring or in late March for the upcoming fall, after the midterm break. Most students meet with their advisors and get their hold removed a week or two before registration opens for their grade level/class standing.

How to Register

Current/continuing undegraduate students register online CampusPortal system. Students are given access to CampusPortal during orientation. Some students find online tutorials within the system helpful.

Common Registration Issues

CampusPortal Registration is Closed
CampusPortal registration remains open until the Friday before classes start.  During the add/drop period (typically the first 7-10 days at the beginning of the semester), you can still change your schedule at the Office of Student Records. See After Registering for more information.

CampusPortal Won't Show or Let You Add a Course
You will need to register through the Office of Student Records using an add/drop form for the following situations:

*Instructor Permission Required
-Includes override of course conflicts, full courses (under special circumstances), or a “permission of instructor” prerequisite courses.
-Obtain instructor signature or attach signed instructor note or email to the add/drop form. Note: If the instructor gives permission via an email sent to the Office of Student Records, the student must also fill out an add/drop form or email the office requesting to be added to the course.

*Prerequisite Not Met
-CampusPortal won't let you add because the prerequisite is a transfer course, current class (such as CHM 101 to get into CHM 102), or an exam score (AP credit, ACT score, etc.). Tell us the reason you can’t add the course on the add/drop form.

*Activities and Music Ensembles
-These courses are repeatable for credit, but the system won’t give you the option to add if you've taken the course before. You must paper add at Student Records.

*Repeated Course
-CampusPortal won’t show courses you've taken before. If you're repeating for a better grade (includes W grade), you must paper add at Student Records.

*Independent Studies and Internships
-Independent studies require students to fill out an independent study request form.
-Internship students must complete a contract through Career Services that is forwarded to the Office of Student Records for registration.

-There are a variety of holds that may prevent you from registering: advisor hold, student account hold, parking violation/other fee hold, FERPA hold, MMR (immunization) hold, and incoming transcripts needed hold. Call the Office of Student Records (406) 657-1030 if you are unsure which type of hold you have on your account and we will tell you which office to contact.

Other CampusPortal Issues
If another problem occurs within CampusPortal registration, contact the Office of Student Records.

After Registering

Complete Validation and Tuition Payment

Your registration is not complete unless you complete validation and pay your tuition and fees with Student Accounts by the payment deadline. Note: all students must validate, even if aid and scholarships cover all their fees.

Use Add/Drop to Change Your Schedule

  • At the beginning of the semester, CampusPortal is closed, but students can continue to add and drop classes before their schedule is finalized. To do this, you must complete an add/drop slip, acquire any necessary signatures, and submit it to the Office of Student Records.
  • After the deadline to add/drop, you will not be able to add a course (unless by appeal), and any course you drop will be considered a withdrawal from the course and will show up on your transcript with a grade of "W."
  • To withdraw from a course with a "W," complete an add/drop slip. Indicate your last day of attendance in that course on the form. Note: Do not complete the online academic withdrawal form unless you want to drop all of your current class schedule and leave the College before the end of term. The deadline to drop courses with a "W" grade is typically after midterms.
  • Check the academic calendar to confirm dates and deadlines for add/drop and dropping a course with a grade of "W." See course catalog for deadlines for withdrawing from the College.

Stay on Track

Keep an eye on your graduation goals. Learn about degree and departmental requirements in the appropriate course catalog. Work closely with your academic advisor and track progress toward your degree with core curriculum and program requirement advising worksheets.

Still have questions? Come by the Office of Student Records in Eaton Hall, call us at 406.657.1030, or email us at


Office of Student Records
Rocky Mountain College
Eaton Hall
1511 Poly Drive
Billings, MT 59102